Support group of the International Conferences on degrowth for ecological sustainability and social equity
Research & Degrowth (R&D) has promoted a number of international conferences on degrowth for ecological sustainability and social equity. Within the plurality and increasing number of events on degrowth that we have experienced and participated in, we wish to develop a clear identity and philosophy for the International Conference as a regular and recognizable event, where scholars, civil society and practitioners come together to update each another on their degrowth-related research and activities. At the same time, we wish to involve the groups who have hosted the conferences up to now in the promoting process. This will ensure a democratic, smooth and effective decision-making process.
- 1º Int. Conference in Paris (2008) (paris.degrowth.org) hosted by Telecom sud-Paris;
- 2º Int. Conference in Barcelona (2010) (barcelona.degrowth.org) hosted by the Autonomous University of Barcelona;
- Conference of the Americas in Montreal (2012) (montreal.degrowth.org) hosted by the Université de Montréal, McGill University, Université du Québec à Montréal, HEC Montreal and Concordia University );
- 3º Int. Conference in Venice (2012) (venezia.degrowth.org) hosted by Associazione per la Decrescita, Spiazzi, IUAV, Universitá di Udine, Cittá di Venezia, Arci, Kuminda and Sesterzo.
Support group (SG)
The SG is the official promoter of the International Conferences.
The SG is composed of people who have been highly involved in the local organizing committees of the previous international conferences. Each organizing committee can propose from one to five people for the Support Group (gender balance is preferred). We attempt to have a group of a maximum of fifteen people to ensure operative and fast decision-making. All members of each local organizing committee should be informed and consulted on the process by the members they have chosen to represent them in the SG.
- Paris: Fabrice Flipo, Francois Schneider.
- Barcelona: Filka Sekulova, Giorgos Kallis, Federico Demaria, Daniela Del Bene, Viviana Asara
- Montreal: Geoff Garver, Bob Thomson, Julie Anne Ames, Hervé Philippe
- Venice: Chiara Marchetti, Eliana Caramelli, Marco Deriu, Dalma Domeneghini, Mauro Bonaiuti
The SG is to be responsible for:
- Drafting and advertising the call for new conferences (during or right after the previous conference);
- Receiving and evaluating proposals for new conferences;
- Making a decision based on the criteria expressed in the Call (at least one year and a half before the next conference, so as to give enough time to the selected host);
- Following-up, advising, monitoring and, if necessary, participating in the local organizing committee of the next conference.
1st of February 2013: Deadline for sending proposals for hosting the conference.
1st of March 2013: Decision about the Fourth Conference.
2014: Fourth Conference takes place!